Frequently Asked Questions
What makes Hampshire Academy more effective than other prep centers?
- Our tutors are all enthusiastic professionals who know these tests – many years of teaching have given us experience in the test strategies and techniques that will help our students achieve success.
- We know the importance of establishing a good teacher-student rapport. We teach individuals not numbers so our small class sizes mean we can combine a positive classroom atmosphere with individual personal attention.
- Our prep programs emphasize the techniques required to score high for students who speak English as a second language.
- We are not affiliated to any company that writes its own questions for its own text books. The prep material we use in our classes is the best available from any source.
- We also use real practice questions and tests from the test-makers – this means when our students take the actual test they will not be stumped by question types they’ve never seen before.
How much homework is given at each class?
In general we expect students to complete at least a minimum amount of homework which consists of concept assimilation, learning vocab, or question practice. We test at each session, so if any student is falling behind, we can work with him or her to catch up..
Will the student take any practice tests?
Yes, definitely. Practice is essential so the student becomes comfortable with the test format. During a course, students tackle real questions and sections in timed sessions. At the end of a course a full length proctored test is given, scored and discussed. Further testing is then offered if students want extra practice (see individual course specifications for testing details.)
What does a typical class consist of?
A typical class consists of a taught section, individual practice, and shared discussion. We may add a few laughs as well…
How many students are there in a class?
- In general, for paper based tests such as the SAT, we enroll a maximum of 12 students.
- For computer adaptive tests, class size is smaller, with a maximum of 5 students only, each working at a laptop.
- For English language classes, our maximum class size is 6 students so we can emphasize individual speaking as well as conversational skills.
When should students take a test?
Ultimately, this is a personal choice. However, we recommend that students should complete our course and then leave a month to practice the test strategies they’ve learned. If students want to score perfect or near perfect scores, practicing full length exams over a number of months is indispensable.
However, many students prefer to take the test immediately after they have finished their course, when they have tips and techniques fresh in their minds.
In short, whatever a student is most comfortable with is right.
Do you register students for official tests?
We do not generally register students for actual tests. However, we provide support to students who request help with registering online for the SAT on the College Board site, or the IELTS site.
Registration at Hampshire Academy
It’s easy! The registration option is by e-mail or phone. Contact us for class availability and then pass by to our offices in person to pay a deposit. We do not require Official ID’s for course registration.
Registration and Cancellation Policy
Full payment must be received within 5 business days of your course start date at the offices of Hampshire Academy, Beirut.
We accept cash or a cheque made payable to Hampshire Academy.
We offer partial refunds for cancellations made at least 1 month prior to the start of classes.
- 50% of amount will be refunded for cancellations made at least 1 month before official class start date.
- There is no refund for cancellations made within 1 month of the official class start date.
- A student may transfer his/her registration to another class with at least 1 week notice.
How many times can I take the SAT, GRE or GMAT?
As a general rule, you shouldn’t need to take any test more than twice. Most universities do not appreciate multiple attempts to raise a score. But there again, if you know you did not do yourself justice because you were feeling unwell, you should take the test again.
Do I need to buy any books for the class?
We provide all the course books.
How much time in advance shall I sign up?
We prefer as early as possible so you can be sure of a place – our classes fill up quickly during the summer.
How much does my course cost?
Course prices are given in the schedule for each class.